What is a thesis statement?
A thesis statement introduces the reader to the research topic. It is like an introduction, but even more concise. It focuses on what is to be achieved in the research, and what are the highlights of your research.
So a thesis statement is a trailer to the main work that you have done. It provides the reader glimpses of your work and ignites their interest so that go through the details of your work. Virtual Assistants are expected to understand this well and know this knowledge to support their employers.
As you will have understood by now, the statement is one of the most important parts of your research paper. You must invest some time and energy into crafting it. There are some things, some guidelines, and tips that can help you improve your thesis. You do not need to abide by them, but take what you can from them and you will surely benefit.
10 ways to write the perfect thesis statement for your research paper
There are some things that you can include in your thesis statement. Some of them are –
- Keep it short, simple and focused. Do not go into details. For example, write “The different types of fat you consume can affect your metabolism and growth”. In case you want to perform the task of a VA later in your life, being able to produce a perfect paper will benefit you definitely!
- If the topic has pros and cons, or you can go for or against, exploit that opportunity. However, do not make it controversial, just debatable would be enough. For example, write “The effects of technology on modern warfare: for better or for worse is yet to be decided”.
- Also, if you have the opportunity to go for or against, or there are two perspectives to the topic, choose one. Never try and justify both perspectives, it becomes too generic. You can write “The positive effects of rainwater harvesting” in place of “the good and bad of rainwater harvesting”.
- If there is something that you are trying to establish, state it clearly in the thesis. You can make a claim like “The new and unique methods of separating fat from food”, but only if you can establish it later in your research.
- Start with something catchy like “Government has undercover programs after all ….”. If you’ll keep on learning, you’ll be energizing your life as well and making a fine research paper can be very energetic!
- Start with something that addresses the concern of the common people like “The amount of lead in food preservatives can cause fatal diseases.”
- Start with a question, like “Is modern day inventions are really helping us in the big picture?”
- Address open issues relevant to the topic. Use statements like “What good does it do in the context of ….”
- Explain the relevance of your research. Put statements like “thus we can also solve the problems of … “
- Conclude with a punch. Use wording like “… should be achieved…” etc. It’s much like writing an academically relevant post for your blog but keep in mind, nothing is new!
10 Golden Rules of Writing a Research Paper Literature Review Section
The literature review of a research paper can be considered a preface to your work. It’s required for dissertations, theses, research proposals, etc. If you want to write a decent review, the following ten rules will assist you while working. Check out also this post on productivity tips for Virtual Assistants. You may as well benefit from these ideas.
- Review the stylistic guidelines. There are many formatting demands, and they are usually strictly checked. Look through the stylistic guidelines and reread your text to avoid mistakes.
- Pick the literature that will be reviewed. Create a list of literature that played the greatest role in your studies. You can skip the materials of lesser importance, or describe them later.
- Write firm reasons for reviewing the literature and the selection criteria. You have to explain why you have chosen this material and ground your criteria for selection. The readers should see the methods that you have applied in order to form your research basis. Mastering this skill will prove to be invaluable if you want to work as a virtual assistant with a good income.
- Categorize the literature. Categorization is an excellent idea. You can organize the material according to the date of creation, topics, subtopics, importance, etc. This is necessary for a better understanding of the text.
- Start the review with general facts and slowly progress to the more precise. A gradual succession in writing makes the picture clearer to the reader. The precise data can be wrongly perceived if you forget to write a general outline of the research.
- Trace the common elements in every work in the context of your research. State the joint elements in the publications, and use them to support your own ideas. How strong was the influence of the materials on your job, and in what aspects?
- Avoid criticism. Remember that you are analyzing, not criticizing. Avoid both negative and positive statements. The review should be written in a neutral style without expressing your emotions.
- Always use the most recent theories and works. If you are conducting research, the data should be fresh and factual. Try to use the latest works, as they are more likely to grant you reliable information.
- Make sure that all the reviewed literature is directly related to your topic. You can omit literature that doesn’t have a direct connection to your topic.
- Never forget to write a conclusion. The conclusion is the final part of the review, so you shouldn’t forget about it. Write about the value of the materials in shaping your work and the perspectives of the research. Lastly, don’t forget to give credit to the authors. Read also this post about Virtual Assistants and how to write a good resume.